Thursday, August 11, 2011

The day I became a resident

Since I am a Mexican that happened to fall in love and marry an American who brought me to his country to live with him I had to go through a bunch and I mean a BUNCH of paperwork to become resident of the USA. Now I have been living in the States for the past year and a half so this is how it played out:

Dec 18th 2009 - We moved to the Sates. We arrived in California @ my in-laws for Christmas. I entered the country as a tourist.

Jan 13th 2010 - We moved to ABQ, NM. We packed all we owned including our dog in the car God blessed us with and drove to NM.

March 1st 2010 - I started an internship at the Consulate of Mexico. Basically free work for the Mexican government to thank them for my education which WE paid for but whatever!

Early May - We start wondering what we are going to do since my tourist permit will expire at the end of June. Do I leave the country and come back in? do we file for residency? What to do?

May 15th 2010 - They are so happy with my work that they decide to offer me a paid position...there is a problem though, I don't have work authorization at the time!

Late May - We travel to Juarez in order for me to get an A-2 visa (which is a special visa for workers of a foreign government). I was granted the visa and I was good to stay in the States for as long as I was hired at the consulate.

April 4th - Our 2 year anniversary! According to immigration attorney it's best to file for residency after we've been married for 2 years.

Mid April - I filed my papers for my residency and the wait starts.

May 30 - I went to get my biometrics (picture, signature and finger prints) taken.

August 10 - We go to our immigration interview. The man that interviewed us was very friendly. At the beginning we were nervous but he was so nice he made us feel comfortable. We rocked the interview and I became a resident... which means I am free to work wherever I want... which means I'm quiting the consulate in September... which means I get to start my own translation and interpretation business... which means I get to have more time to do stuff around the house and start a hobby... which means I am thrilled and very much looking forward to what God has in store for the months to come!!!



Thank you Lord for your faithfulness!



No comments:

Post a Comment